Our eyebrows were one hair wide.
1. Back in the ’00s, a line of 10 solitary hairs above your eye were known as an “eyebrow”.
2. And these were desirable eyelashes:
3. All of our tops were extremely small and tight, while our jeans barely covered our pubes.
Sometimes we’d have to wax the top of the pubes off so they didn’t show.
4. A thermal vest was 100% acceptable as a going-out top, as long as you paired it with a glam skirt and earrings.
This was our go-to look on any night out, and you know what? We felt great.
5. Everything was shrunken in the ’00s. For instance, this thing was worn in place of a jacket:
It was called a “shrug”. We were very cold in the ’00s. Look how she’s clasping her hands together, and note the blue hue to her arms.
6. And this very thin strip of material was known as a “scarf”:
It didn’t exactly keep us warm. No one really knows what it was for.
7. Clothes weren’t allowed to be simple in the ’00s. A top couldn’t “just have sleeves”, the sleeves had to be doing something, like falling off you.
And your trousers had to have lots of pockets and preferably some kind of straps or tassels.
8. A strange disconnect developed between the top half of our bodies and the bottom half. It was like we were two different people stuck together.
The bottom half was often a skater, while the top half was a party chick.
9. We took everyday items and transformed them into something else. A tie, for instance, became a belt:
10. The only acceptable type of nails was square-tipped French manicure.
One would pop off when you tried to open something and you’d have a strange out-of-place finger all day.
11. The preferred skin colour for white people during the ’00s was a sort of Oompa Loompa orange.
The look was achieved with lashings of Johnson’s Holiday Skin, and the occasional spray tan.
12. Everyone was extremely excited to have discovered hair straighteners, so we all looked like this for 10 years:
13. Lipstick wasn’t really a thing in the ’00s. We were all about the lip gloss:
14. Oh, and we were big into lip liner, which we bought from The Body Shop.
15. Honestly, this was considered subtle eye makeup in the ’00s:
Just a subtle slash of shimmer around the eye.
16. A big thing was dressing as if the only materials available to you were cowhide and string.
Yeah, can’t see this trend resurfacing any time soon.
17. Everyone owned a pair of cowboy boots, whether or not they had any intention of actually droving cows.
We wore our cowboy boots everywhere and they made us feel powerful.
18. Also, we should probably discuss our approach to denim in the ’00s. It was ~interesting~…
This was a typical pair of jeans back then.
19. We danced to the beat of our own drum in the ’00s, and for that we should be proud.